I have noticed a difference in society's attitudes about sexualization change from the time I was growing up until the time I started teaching and having children of my own. When I taught kindergarten over 20 years ago, I had kindergarten children that knew a lot about sex and were very vocal about it. I remember when my three girls were little and starting to go to school and how much trouble it was to find clothes for little girls that did not expose all parts of their bodies. My own daughters are now teenagers and in that time span, I have been teaching preschool. In my preschool classes, I hear comments from the children directed to each other that are suggestive in nature.
It bothers me that our children are exposed to mature issues of sexualization at an early age through their home environment, media images, and advertisement. I believe that our society has become more relaxed about what children are exposed to, especially with the use of social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I feel as though adults themselves have become more relaxed thinking that this is the trend of our times and why should we worry about it? It is just kids being cute when they say they have a boyfriend in kindergarten. But what are we really telling our children when we do not supervise what they are being exposed to? We, as the adults, cannot shield our children from everything in their environment. However, we can be present in their lives to provide a safe and nurturing environment where children feel comfortable to ask questions.
References
Levin, D., & Kilbourne, J. (2009). [Introduction]. So sexy
so soon: The new sexualizedchildhood and what parents can do to protect their kids (pp. 1-8). New York: Ballantine Books. Retrieved from: http://dianeelevin.com/sosexysosoon/introduction.pdf
What a good point Nicolette and very well worded "... society has become more relaxed about children being exposed to sexualiztion (Levine & Kilbourne, 2009)," (Nicolette). They have become what some say is being - insensitized because they are immersed in it - or it's all around them. Thank-you for your thoughtful comment on what we can do -- "provide safety" for them.
ReplyDeleteKimberly
Kimberly,
DeleteThank you for your comments. I really like the word you used "insensitized" to describe the atmosphere of how our society views sexualization and children.
Nicolette
Nicolette,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your post. You have highlighted a very valid perspective that focuses on society's change in attitude towards sexualization of young kids. Things which were considered inappropriate earlier are totally acceptable these days. I remember when we wore school uniforms, the lengths of our skirts had to be below the knees but these days children are more tuned in to fashion and appearance. Skimpy clothes are considered 'cool'.
Great post!
Sonali,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments. Funny you mentioned uniforms because two of my daughters went to Catholic school when they were young and I was actually happy they had to wear uniforms because I did not have to worry about what they were wearing at school.
Nicolette
Nicolette,
ReplyDeleteThanks for pointing these things out about sexualization in early childhood. You are right about it being hard to find clothing for girls that isn't too revealing. It saddens me that my children have to grow up in a world in which everything is so commercialized. People tend to care more about money than moral and values. That's why it is up to us a s adults to teach our young children the right way instead of leaving it up to society. Thanks so much for your post!
Amber