"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still"- Chinese Proverb (Inspirational, 2013).
One hope that I have when I am working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that I will never lose sight of the importance of honoring each child's culture. I want every child and every family to feel welcomed and valued in my classroom at all times. I believe this is important in establishing a positive relationship with the children and families but also fostering a positive attitude about learning and the school community.
Something I would like to see more of in the early childhood field related to diversity, equity, and social justice is more collaboration between early childhood centers, agencies and schools. We, in the early childhood field, tend to divide ourselves amongst these entities when we should be working closer together. How can we, as early childhood educators, expect to include others when we ourselves are creating divisions within our own field?
Thank you so much to Dr. Sheri and all of my colleagues in this class!!!! I have learned so much about myself and about all of you and your personal journeys! I have appreciated the honesty, warmth and thoughtfulness of your discussion posts and blog entries! May you continue your educational journey but also your personal experiences journey! May you all have continued success in your classes and educational settings!
With much appreciation,
Nicolette
References
Inspirational Quotes. (2013). Personal Growth and Self Development Quotes. Retrieved from
www.inspirational-quotes.info/growth.html

Thank You for sharing your with us.
ReplyDeleteEvery child is important no matter what his or her abilities is. You mentioned a good point, collaboration between early childhood centers and agency would be a great for families because they might be able to get important information from the agency.
Thank you for reading my blog and for your comments!
DeleteNicolette
Hello Nicolette:
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved your picture reading to your students and the quote you chose. It truly makes your post whole. I agree with you and feel the same way on not loosing focus and honoring each child's culture. It is a simple equation...the way we want to be treated we need to treat others.
I thank you for sharing your life experiences and wish you continuous success in your journey. Hope to see you in person at graduation.
Best Regards,
Marijan Kevorkian :)
Marijan,
DeleteThank you for your comments and insights! May you continue your educational journey and find it a positive and rewarding experience!
Nicolette
Nicolette- I absolutely love the quote you chose to begin your blog posting this week. For me, it really captures how I conceive of working toward social justice. It illustrates the process as a journey and not something that can truly take shape in a short period of time. It is something that we must all work toward, each day. I thank you for all of your wonderful insights in this course and in others, and I do hope to be "seeing" you around again in the future. I wish you continued success in all of your pursuits! -Katelyn
ReplyDeleteKatelyn,
DeleteThank you for your comments and insights! Hope to "see you around" as well:)!
Nicolette